“You’re at the tail end of the time with some of the most important people in your life. One day you will see them for the last time. And it’s actually the same as everything else. The concept of doing something for the last time feels eerie, like something you should only experience when you’re on death row or extremely old or something like that. But it happens all the time.”
-“What Are You Doing With Your Life? The Tail End” video by Kurzgesagt, YouTube
Every night before bed, I ask my son if he wants to sleep in his crib or in his “big boy bed”. We are in the middle of transitioning him out of his crib and it feels like the end of an era. One of these days will be the last day that he sleeps in that crib. The crib he has slept in since my husband and I brought him home November 2018. Thinking about doing this for the last time has forced me to zoom out and think about some things.
What are you doing with your life? What am I doing with my life? What does anyone do with their lives? How will you spend the “tail end” of this life? Will you look back and be satisfied with how you spent it and who you spent it with?
We all have visions for how our lives will play out. Sometimes we check every box, and other times reality veers us strangely off course.
Let’s all play a game…answer these “fun” questions for yourself.
- What activity do you spend the most time doing each week?
- What is one thing you have always wanted to try?
- Where is one place you have always wanted to visit?
- When is the last time you learned something new?
- When you were 16, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What activity truly brings you joy?
- What is one thing you want to accomplish tomorrow?
- What is one thing you want to accomplish by the end of this year?
- What is one thing you want to accomplish at the end of five years?
- If you could do, be, see, think, believe or whatever ANYTHING that you want, what is ONE STEP that you could take toward that goal today?
May all beings be well.